Sunday, February 5, 2012

Follow

A dear friend sent me a perpetual calendar right around the year anniversary of Jim's passing.  It seems that this gift must have been heaven-inspired.  I'd been taking a long, hard look at the past year, wondering if I'd made the right choices for Marley and me, wondering if God would be happy with what He's seeing.  The messages on this little calendar seem like they were written right for me, right at this time...

God loves us so much that He allows us to get into difficult places in our lives so we will realize how dependent we must be on Him.
*****
If you have been walking with God for some time and you suddenly feel like your life has come to a halt, don't be alarmed.  Most likely, God is adjusting your way.  Having God correct your course doesn't necessarily mean the one you were on was incorrect.  But it does mean that something needs to change to get you headed in the direction God wants to take you.
*****
It doesn't matter how young or old you are.  As long as you are breathing, God will have new paths for you to take and exciting things for you to do. 
It's best to trust His leading and get on with it. 
This is what a walk of faith is all about.
*****
Abraham was walking by faith when God led him out of all that was familiar to him to a place he had never been.  He knew God had called him from where he was, but he didn't know where God was leading.  And Abraham's is one of the greatest stories in the Bible in regard to walking in faith: "...he went out, not knowing where he was going" (Hebrews 11:8).  How often have we felt like that?  We go out because God is leading us, but we don't really know where we're headed.
*****
It's a more certain proposition to follow the Lord, not knowing where you're going, than to think you know where you're going and you're not following the Lord.
~Jack Hayford
*****
Don't worry, we've all had [those days when you wonder if you're actually going anywhere].  Abraham had them.  Moses had them.  Noah had them.  All great godly people in history have had them.  God doesn't often reveal the details of where He's taking you because He wants you to trust Him for every step.  He wants you to pray and listen to Him directing your path for this day, this week, this season, this year, and this time.
*****
When you hear God telling you to move in a certain direction, let me give you two words of advice: Do it!  Refusing to walk according to God's leading will get you nowhere.  Oh, you will arrive someplace, all right, but if it is not where God wants to bless you, it will still be nowhere.
*****
It doesn't matter what your situation at this moment.  Wherever you are, God has a path for you that is filled with good things.  Draw close to Him and you'll find it.  Say, "Show me the way in which I should walk and the thing I should do" (Jeremiah 42:3).  He will do that and, if you carefully follow as He guides you, He will not let you get off the path.  With each step He will reveal more of Himself.  "Your ears shall hear a word behind you saying, 'This is the way, walk in it" (Isaiah 30:12).  So reach up right now and take God's hand. 
He promises He won't let you fall.
*****
Prayer Light
Thank You that even if I become weak and stumble, You will help me to rise again and continue on.  And though I can't see exactly where I am going, I'm certain that You can and will enable me to get to where I need to be.  Thank You, Lord, that You are teaching me how to walk in total dependence upon You, for I know therein lies my greatest blessing.
*****
Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
To the house of the God of Jacob,
He will teach us His ways,
And we shall walk in His paths.
~Micah 4:2
*****

Let me tell ya, that was ten solid days of the Lord speaking directly to my heart.  I needed that!  Thanks, Jen, for letting the Lord use your simple gift to change and redirect my heart towards Him!

1 comment:

  1. You are so welcome! It was not at all what I was looking for when I went into that store, but He (as always) knew better than me what you needed! I love that quote from Isaiah. I love ya, can't wait to see you next month! --Jen

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?